Mutaflor® is a probiotic that comprises as its active substance a viable non-pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli (E.coli). First isolated in 1917 by Professor Alfred Nissle from the faeces of a soldier during the First World War who as he remarked, “in contrast to the large majority of his comrades, had suffered neither from dysentery nor from any other intestinal diseases”. Thereafter, appropriately named Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917.
Mutaflor® is registered in Australia at AUST R level for the relief and management of chronic constipation. Your healthcare practitioner may also wish to utilise this strain for its pharmacological and metabolic properties.
Characteristics of Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917.
- the ability to colonize
- antagonistic activity – inhibition of growth and or killing of pathogens
- anti-invasive – prevention of colonisation in the gut by pathogens
- synthesis of endogenous antimicrobial peptides-defensins
- mucosal integrity – contributing to luminal metabolism and stability of intestinal milieu-enhanced epithelial barrier function
- anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects
- stimulation of colonic mucosa
The therapeutic effects of Mutaflor® are strain specific and have been demonstrated by in-vitro and in-vivo experiments and clinical studies. Mutaflor® Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917 (EcN) is arguably one of the best studied and field tested probiotic strains and fulfills all the demanding criteria and characteristics required for a medicinal probiotic.